Adventure #2 Mississippi Bar (Lake Natoma)

Adventure #2 is a walk along Mississippi Bar, located along Lake Natoma, which is where the Sac State Aquatics Center is. I used to frequently walk through Mississippi Bar with my childhood dog  (April) and now with Spring. It can be located several different ways. I usually access it by parking at the end of Main and Sunset because the parking is free. You can also park at the Sac State Aquatics Center and walk over the Hazel Bridge and follow the bike trail along the edge of Lake Natoma but that is about a half mile and on a very busy street plus you have to pay for parking. Now technically this is an on the leash walking area and there is a horse stable right next to the initial walking area. This is a popular spot and I have taken it with some friends and we walked down to the lake and went swimming with our dogs (no beach we just put our chairs in shallow water haha).

The walk is a neat walk and has a lot of different trails that you can take. The area is an old gold mining area and has hills of rocks that are cool to climb up. Currently the area is beautifully green but during the summer it is all yellow. When you get to the bike trail you can walk along the lake and see the different people sailing, fishing, kayaking, rowing, and swimming. I recommend this walk for a summer day where you can take a quick dip or on a nice evening enjoy the lake.

Pro:
~ Free
~ lots of space
~ neat terrain
~ new walking route every time

Con:
~technically on the leash
~ bicyclists
~ horses
~ wild deer with means tics
~ saw a man pooping in a walkway one time

The picture below have no overlapping areas to show how big this place is and I only traveled through a quarter of the area.

Click Mississippi Bar if you would directions to your next walk.


A seasonal puddle Spring was able to enjoy.  


A picture of the Sac State Aquatics Center from the bike trail. It is hard to see because of the sunset and my phone is old.


Another spot Spring was checking out before she sprinted off. 


The main trail (road) to get to the bike trail.


My soloing the walk. Victor had some nerd competition for his class so I was responsible for exhausting the dog. 


A view across the flat rocky area over to the hills of rocks from the mining. 

3 comments:

  1. Jacque,

    I love hiking! Thank you so much for sharing this hiking trail with us. I like your pro and con list. I think that was a good touch to your blog post :) I also really liked the pictures. It allowed me to sort of see the trail before I make a decision to go or not. **thumbs up**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is a lucky dog! I think she would be really happy when you take her to such nice places. Someone pooped there though. Haha. Are there wild deer and horses? It sounds like 'pro' to me! I couldn't go to the lake you post last week because I had to head for San Jose to protest. But I really want to try somewhere you introduce after this semester. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I'm learning about lots of cool places to go walking. Seeing as I'm new to the Sac area I don't really know anything. I am always looking for nice places to go walking or hiking.

    ReplyDelete